Saturday, January 29, 2011

Distractions

I know I'm not the only one in the world who gets distracted, but that doesn't make me feel much better when the word count on my latest project moves by 1000 words in a week, rather than a day.  It's so much easier to catch up on blog reading, solving a problem on my paid work, general web surfing, or something else on my to-do list.  However, the only way I can even crack through the plot direction is to keep writing a little bit (at least a little bit) every day so that it stays booted in my brain.

It's simply too easy to work on something with a shorter term goal, but the desire to entertain and create a novel that others will enjoy keeps me thinking.  One thing that helps is pulling the network cable on the computer - can't get a new email or news update that way.  Shutting down my browser works, too, in fact it's probably even better.  The most important thing is just to keep thinking about the project.  Then, when I'm staring at the document with pages to fill, the words will come.  I just have to get started and turn off the distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment