Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Read a book or Why TV is losing me

I watch Good Morning America (GMA) every day while I make breakfast.  Some of it is interesting, but I realized a while ago that the amount of actual GMA is getting smaller.  The last 10 minutes of every half hour, for example is either commercials or local news.  If you've already seen the local news, then you're in for nothing but repeated information.  Then the commercials come on and they're designed to annoy the crap out of you.  If they're trying to sell me something then they're definitely missing the target.

If I hear another quirky female voice wailing about yogurt, hair products, Target, Apple, or anything else, I'm now more likely to scream at the TV, turn it off, and read a book than buy whatever they're hawking at the moment.

The sameness of TV shows is getting to me as well.  I feel like I've seen it before.  The new fall lineup - three new lawyer shows, four doctor/hospital shows, ABC announces another two "what the hell is going on" shows, 100 reality shows, blah blah blah.  The things that get me in front of a TV nowadays are things that are well-written with good characters, and something I haven't seen already - Burn Notice, 24 - or maybe something that's a really well done retread like House or The Closer.

Still, at commercial time, the mute button is my friend.  And once I'm tired of the sameness or the irritation, or even if I'm just in the mood to really get absorbed in my entertainment, I pick up whatever I'm reading at the moment.  I really should do it more often; we all should.

No comments:

Post a Comment