Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bored Games - 2

Did I mention in my previous post that game development isn't easy?  I should have - it's not easy.  You might start with an interesting concept and a cool drawing, but the proof is in the game play.  Today, I laid out the board with pieces, money, cards - everything.  I played the role of 3 players by myself.  After about 20 minutes, it was clear that changes were necessary.  I made the changes and tried it again.  Another 20 minutes and it's once again clear that more changes are needed.

I'm back to the drawing board with some new ideas to simplify the board, make the goals a little less specific and the hazards more easily invoked in an effort to keep the game moving.  It sucks when your own game is boring, but if you don't like it yet, it isn't ready for prime time.  Soon it will be just right.  I believe in the concept, but so far, it's not entering the gameplay, which defeats the purpose.

Another shot at it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment